I’ve been experimenting with a couple of bowl shapes this week, and ended up with a lot of bases to turn into footrings. After some initial experiments last year I realised that I prefer making bowls with visible footrings, and in between have been doodling about with various styles – many of which I initially liked but then rapidly went off.
I tried out a number of slight variations today.
I may have to eat my words in time, but I think I have found a form that is going to do the trick at least on these taller shapes. It’s slightly tapered outwards on the outside which gives hte bowl some lift – and echoes the articulations in the cups etc. It’s also on a slant on the inside so the ring is narrow at the foot and looks elegant, but it’s also sturdy.