The chemistry of it all is still a bit baffling, but I am attempting to be systematic and learn something in the process as well as ending up with some nice colours!
As I am making tableware and am concerned that it is not toxic to those that use it(!) I am only using glaze recipes that are published as being appropriate for domestic use. Even in one book that gave me 13 different body recipes – so I tried them all! These three are pretty much matt (but smooth).
It turns out to be pretty hard to compare bodies without a colour, so I’ve now mixed samples of all these with the same oxide for comparison – currently in the kiln queue…
Next us is a range of colours. I find it hard to work from the titchy photos printed in recipe books so am testing loads of recipes to see what inspires and what works on my clay…
After my adventures with wieghing glazes last year I have invested in some better scales – seen below – and I’m applying Kate Malone’s advice in writing recipes out and crossing them off. In moments of obsessive systematicness I have even been using the pencil to point at hte recipe I am doing next as I work through doing all the measurings out of one ingredient in all the samples before moving on to the next.
The slips with recipes on then become handy labels for taping onto the jars/tubs in which the samples are stored.
Hopefully the first batch will get into the kiln this week so I’ll update here with the results.